By Levi Roach
The Anglo-Saxon king Æthelred "the Unready" (978–1016) has
Read Online or Download Æthelred: The Unready (English Monarchs) PDF
Best uk history books
Drawing considerably at the ideas and phrases of Catholic writers and cultural commentators, Villis sheds new gentle on non secular identification and political extremism in early twentieth-century Britain. The ebook constitutes a accomplished learn of ways during which British Catholic groups reacted to fascism either at domestic and in another country.
The tale of the reign of Charles I - in the course of the lives of his humans. Prize-winning historian David Cressy mines the widest diversity of archival and published assets, together with ballads, sermons, speeches, letters, diaries, petitions, proclamations, and the court cases of secular and ecclesiastical courts, to discover the aspirations and expectancies not just of the king and his fans, but additionally the unruly energies of a lot of his topics, displaying how royal authority used to be constituted, in peace and in conflict - and the way it all started to disintegrate.
This vital introductory consultant deals scholars a couple of hugely centred chapters on key subject matters in recovery historical past. every one addresses a middle query in terms of the interval 1660-1714, and makes use of creative and literary resources – in addition to extra conventional texts of political background – to demonstrate and remove darkness from arguments.
This account, following on from Unicorns - The historical past of the Sherwood Rangers Yeomanry 1794- 1899, covers the Regiment’s conflict provider among 1900 and 1945. through the Boer struggle the SRY shaped a part of the 1st volunteer unit to work out energetic carrier out of the country struggling with the Boer Commandos as cavalry. For its function within the ill-fated 1915 Gallipoli crusade, the Regiment was once offered the King’s color after which fought Allenby’s triumphant crusade opposed to the Turks.
- Royalists at War in Scotland and Ireland, 1638–1650
- The People of the Book: Philosemitism in England, From Cromwell to Churchill
- The Struggle for North America, 1754-1758: Britannia’s Tarnished Laurels (Bloomsbury Studies in Military History)
- Britain in Global Politics Volume 1: From Gladstone to Churchill (Security, Conflict and Cooperation in the Contemporary World)
- OCR A Level History: Britain 1930–1997
- Enduring the Great War: Combat, Morale and Collapse in the German and British Armies, 1914–1918 (Cambridge Military Histories)
Extra info for Æthelred: The Unready (English Monarchs)
Æthelred: The Unready (English Monarchs) by Levi Roach